- Excellence in research (peer-reviewed, high caliber, with national and international recognition).
- A diversity of research (across a full range of scholarly disciplines at Trent, and of either a basic or applied nature).
- An emphasis on interdisciplinary research (with cooperation between a number of departments/ programs/ disciplines/ centres /institutions).
- Responsible for provision of resources to researchers (infrastructure, staff, space etc.).
- The involvement of students in research.
- Training of highly qualified personnel.
- Open accountable research practices (honest, ethical and open to public scrutiny).
The Office of Research & Innovation offers numerous services to assist professors, students and industry leaders alike.
- Institutional liaison with external research agencies, public and private sector partners, provincial and federal granting agencies.
- Peer Review, connecting researchers with suitable peer reviewers or mentors.
- Grant Administration, including preparation, review internal adjudication (if applicable), institutional authorization, support and signatures, establishing research accounts, invoicing, financial reporting and audit, disbursement of funds to collaborators, press releases and communication notices.
- Information for granting and funding opportunities, including distribution of calls for proposals and negotiation of contracts and award agreements.
- Links to other departments and external agencies to negotiate support of researchers and research programs.
- Represent the research community at provincial and national levels to advocate for support of research.
- Oversee Tri-Council Policies.
- Protect intellectual property of researchers and institution.
- Facilitate technology transfer of intellectual property to private and public sectors.